Reading to your kids is a great activity to do with your baby or toddler and it is never to early to start! Reading encourages early communication skills is real one on one time and your conversation is completely scripted, just follow the story. We love story time, it is a cue for bedtime in my little ones routine and she loves grabbing her favourite books while jumping up for a cuddle.
There is loads of evidence about the benefits of reading to your kids, in Scotland we are fortunate to get bookbug bags from when our little ones are tiny packed full of books and activities to explore. The research proves that children who enjoy reading do better at school so make reading a fun activity for you both.
Here are our reading to your kids top tips!
- set aside regular time and turn off any distractions. We read without the TV on or any background noise so that we are concentrating on it together
- Choose a time where you are both relaxed and ready to read and to play
- Let them chose the book, it helps them make decisions at a young age and they are more likely to be engaged in a story that they are keen to hear
- Sit together, reading time is a great time for a cuddle!
- Point to the pictures and explain to your little one what they are looking at.
- Use toys to bring the story to life, we use puppets, soft toys and plastic toys and relate them to the story. It is amazing when they gather up all the toys ready to hear the book
- Think about the sensory aspect of reading too, offer some books that have different textures, fabric books, ones that make noises and encourage your little one to engage with it all and turn the pages together.
- Make your time together fun, you’ll enjoy lovely moments together!